Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Peace And Love On The Dirty Dashboard



Over the past few months I have been really trying to slow my life down. I decided to do this so that I could see and remember all of the great people and things around me. This morning was no different. Again, I gained perspective from Dylanne, my 8 year old.

Last Friday I was able to bring Dylanne to work with me for the entire day. Yep, that's right, she put in a whole 8 hours and was very good while doing so. She asked a million questions on the way to work and slept on the way home. She brought a little happiness to the office as she always seems to light up the room that she's in. What I didn't notice is that in my often dirty work car, she had taken her finger and drew a heart with a peace sign in the middle of it on my dirty dashboard. I didn't notice this until this morning, then it got me thinking about the symbolism.

As I drove to work this morning, I looked at this heart with the peace sign in it. It was far from a perfect heart, nor were the lines that formed the peace sign all that straight. It didn't matter, I still could make out her picture. That led me to this thought:

Is there such thing as a perfect heart?

We stereotype some people as having a big heart, or even a small heart, but we don't discuss whether or not their heart is perfect. I know that if I drew my heart, it would not be perfect. The sides would be uneven and bumpy, much like Dylanne's drawing. Uneven do to all of the issues in life that try to break my heart. I looked further into Dylanne's drawing and realized that the heart shape is drawn in a way to look as if it is protecting the peace sign. I also noticed that the heart shape was drawn with thick lines. Metaphor: As long as you have a strong heart, you can protect and maintain your inner peace.

Now I'm sure that was not the intentions of Dylanne's drawing, I could be wrong, but that is how I translated it. Isn't ART open to interpretation?

I realized this morning that as long as I have a STRONG heart, not so much a perfect heart, that I can protect my inner peace. When people or things try to put me down or damage my hopes, dreams and desires, I know that my heart is strong because I believe in myself and what I do. This keeps me moving forward everyday.

I also realized that my car served as a metaphor for what we know to be our life sometimes; cluttered, dirty and not organized. In all that mess, if we just take the time to look around and noticed things, true beauty will appear. This morning, my true beauty was in the shape of a heart and a peace sign on a dirty dashboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment