Monday, November 28, 2011

This Picture



This picture hangs in my office at work.

I look at this picture everyday.

This picture inspires and motivates me everyday.

I am very fortunate to know the two people in this picture. I will not name them, but there are many of you reading this today that know who they are.

A few years ago, when Heather and I started to get involved with the Eastern Iowa Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, I happened to come across this picture. I remember the day that I found this picture. I was captivated by it. I instantly started to get that "lumpy feeling in my throat. My eyes started to tear up. My nose started to run. What was it about this picture that sparked such an emotion? At the time I wasn't sure, but I learned the back story, which has since made the picture even more meaningful.

What I knew prior to asking about the picture is that 1) this was a mother/daughter photo 2) the girl in this photo is a type 1 diabetic and 3) the mother just finished the JDRF Ride for the Cure. I tracked down the mother in this photo and told her that I have it hanging in my office for inspiration. That is when she told me the story behind the photo.

She began to tell me that she rode the JDRF Ride for the Cure for her daughter. It was her way to combine 2 things that she was very passionate about; funding a cure for her daughter and riding her bike. She went on to tell me that after she crossed the finish line, she was met by her daughter. They tried to sneak away to have their moment; which one can only imagine was very emotional and full of tears. Little did this duo know that a photographer had noticed them stepping away and managed to capture their moment in this image. An image that has no caption, but speaks volumes to those of us parents who wish nothing more than for a cure for their diabetic children.

There are no words for this photo. I try to imagine the mother as she pushed through a long and exhausting bike ride. Putting her body through pain so that her daughter may someday hurt no more. I imagine what her daughter must feel as she watches her mother endure this journey all for her. What a great example this mother is providing for her daughter. The thought, that we as parents, would take on anything for our children. The determination of the mother to do everything she can to defeat the monster that we call juvenile diabetes.

Diabetes or not, this picture speaks loud and clear. On this day, despite the large amount of money raised for Juvenile Diabetes research, there was no cure. However, this picture indicates that there was indeed a victory. A victory in the relationship between the mother and the daughter. A victory within the mother that she can accomplish anything as long as she looks past her fears and doubts. A victory for juvenile diabetics everywhere knowing that there are people who do care and will do anything to help them be cured.

I look at this picture everyday. I look at this picture and have visions of the two people in this picture being Micheala and myself. I look at this picture, with visions of this being Micheala and myself, and insert our story into the picture. I look at this picture, with visions of this being Micheala and myself, insert our story, and know that we must continue to fight.

It's been said that "a picture is worth a thousand words"; in this case, it is worth much, much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment