Thursday, October 27, 2011

Having The Best Umbrella



"I didn't create the rain, I just try to have the best umbrella."

The above is a quote from one of my favorite movies, Almost Famous. Every once in a while I think about this quote. I thought of this quote on my way to work this morning.

I didn't sleep well last night. As a matter of fact, I haven't slept well all week. I finally stopped fighting it and got up at 3 am and decided to come to work. I couldn't stop thinking about all of the things that needed to be done at work and felt obligated to get up and start working on those things. I couldn't do anything but worry about this stuff at home, so rather than worry, I wanted to start adding action.

Micheala is still in recovery mode, which means the rest of our family is in recovery mode. Heather was home with Micheala all day yesterday and was basically on top of her every move. Micheala was getting her blood sugar tested every hour and Heather struggled to control them. Something is off. Regardless of Heather's best efforts, Micheala's blood sugars ran high all day and night. Because of this, we had to fight with Micheala last night. When sugars are high, you are very hungry. Micheala wanted to constantly eat last night, but we couldn't allow her to eat whenever she wanted, because we were trying to bring her sugars down. We pushed water, which usually helps, but not last night. Finally she gave up and just went to sleep last night.

I get very pissed because, again, I know what she is going through. I get pissed that we have to tell her no, but it is in her best interest. Something is off and it is beyond the knowledge of Heather and myself. So this means we have to make numerous calls and possibly visit the doctor again. After the run-ins we had this past week with doctors, we are not thrilled.

Right now, we are in "keep Micheala out of the hospital mode". We are never really out of the woods just because she was discharged from the hospital. Heather has missed the whole week of work, not to mention the incredible amount of stress that this adds to our days. However, we know who we are and we will be victorious. We just need to fight to get through this storm. Which brings me to the subject of today's blog, having the best umbrella.

We are no different than any other family. We all have our stressors; unique to our own families or what not. How do we get through these times? Fortunately, for all of us, life is full of choices and being in times of great stress is no different. The way I see it, we have a decision to make during these times. We could 1) go stick our heads in the sand like cowards and hope that the stress just goes away with time or 2) grab the bull by the horns and tackle the animal we know as our stress. We choose option 2.

We can choose option 2 because of the umbrella that we have created to shield us from the stress storm. This umbrella is made up of our unconditional love for one another, our faith, the people in our lives that care about us, the understanding that we can ask the people around us for help and our never say never attitude. Having these things in place has created a solid umbrella over our family that prevents us from getting soaked with stress. It helps us move forward without slowing down. It helps us keep a clear line of sight on our hopes, dreams and desires. It keeps us safe during the conditions that life throws at us that are out of our control.

We are holding our umbrella now.

I take great pleasure in defeating obsticles that are throw in front of me. Especially when I am told that it cannot be done. Heather and I continue to discuss the comment made from a certain medical professional the other day. What bothered me the most about the comment is that this doctor stood on one side of my daughter's hospital bed while my daughter was laying in this bed hooked to IVs and with my wife on the other side of her bed. He made this comment while standing over my daughter. How would you like to hear from a doctor that your parents should not of had you? She is 6. She is capable of understanding what the doctor meant by that comment. I pray that God has given Micheala the strength to not only forgive, but to also forget.

Once I became familar with my purpose, I stopped asking God "Why". It is clear to me what I am suppose to be doing. Now I ask God for the strength to facilitate the "How". I ask God for a hand in holding our umbrella, especially in times in which I feel my strength to hold the umbrella is depleating.

Always carry your umbrella with you, even if you look outside and there doesn't look as if there is a chance of rain. Make sure your umbrella is well crafted, with no holes or tears. Most importantly, focus on those standing under that umbrella with you.

I wish you all a sunny day with no chance of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment