Tuesday, November 22, 2011

To Fly (for my wife)

"I came to win
To fight,
To conquer,
To thrive,

I came to win,
To survive,
To prosper
To rise,

To fly,to fly" -Nicki Minaj "Fly"

This morning I dedicate this blog to my wife, Heather, who spread her wings on Saturday to fly.

On Saturday, Heather and I were asked to tell our story in front of 290 people at an Advocare event. I have been no stranger to the stage in front of crowds of this size, however, Heather is more of a behind the scenes player. She doesn't enjoy the spotlight all that much. It was also a moment of truth, as we had to discuss some of the bad things that had happened in our lives.

A week before this event, it was decided that I would do all of the speaking, however, I know Heather's story and wanted her to tell it. As the week progressed, we eventually decided that Heather must speak.

Nervous as all hell, we drove to the event on Saturday. We decided that we just wanted to offer hope to one person in the room, plus we wanted to be inspired by others. We didn't rehearse what we were going to say; we just stepped on stage and spoke from the heart. Heather spoke first.

Heather started speaking and I got lost. I was so captivated in the moment, I really had no idea what I would say. She shined like a star on the stage. She inspired. She inspired me. She told her story and had the full attention of the crowd. I was so proud of her in that moment. Not so much for what she has accomplished in Advocare, but how she put her own fears aside in order to help others. She got uncomfortable for other people in the room.

It was the first time Heather and I had shared a stage together, but will not be the last. I don't even know what I said because I was so blown away by my wife. I am married to a leader.

Heather grew quite a bit on Saturday and will continue to grow. I am excited for this. It will be fun to watch her continue to inspire others, including me.

Great job Heather! You are a difference maker. Continue to fly.

1 comment:

  1. Fly she did Sir. In fact, you both flew. Truly enjoyed your talk from the heart, and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete