Monday, October 3, 2011

240,000 Reasons Why Saturday Night Was A Success



I was pretty nervous all week. I was about to speak in front of the big crowd filled with some of the top Executives and big wigs in the Cedar Rapids/Marion area. I was out of my league. I am a small towner at a big city event. I had no choice. I had to be there. I had to speak. I had to share my message.

Saturday morning, the morning before the Gala, I was sitting at Dylanne's soccer game and having conversations with the parents to help take my mind off the upcoming evening. I got a text message from my good friend, Michael Roberts, that said, "Good luck tonight! You will change many lives". I instantly responded to him, "Thanks, I have no choice, I have to be good, too many kids depending on me tonight". That's when I stopped being nervous and felt confident that I would knock it out of the park.

I was asked to do a sound check at 10:30am. So, Dylanne and I went to the Marriot Hotel and did the sound check. I did not make it through the first run through. I started getting choked up and had to stop. The JDRF Executive Diorector then informed me that it was okay to be emotional, but I want to stand firm and make sure my message was delivered. I was also informed that a video interview that Micheala and I shot months earlier would be playing prior to me speaking. in shooting that video a few months ago, I did get choked up and had to stop, so I knew that I was in for an emotional night. I read through my second take and made it without crying, but I read way to fast and thought my message may have been lost. I left the Marriot hoping that God could pull me through the evening, because I was going to have to lean on God more than ever on Saturday night.

Heather and I got all dressed up on Saturday afternoon, jumped into the car with our neighbors and headed to the Gala. My parents were there which was awesome, but they have always been very supportive and I knew that they wouldn't miss this evening for the world. I was instructed by my wife to stay away from the open bar, but did manage to sneak a few drinks down, but only to loosen me up a bit. I agreed with Heather, I didn't want to blow this opportunity by sounding like a blubbering idiot.

I not going to lie, I turned my head and tried to not listen as they played the Mike and Micheala interview. When the video was over, I walked with confidence on to the stage and delivered this message:

"In my own fundraising efforts, I often pass along this phrase, “It’s not just about raising funds, it’s about being part of something special, it’s about being part of the cure”. I pass this along to all of you tonight because each and every one of you has the opportunity to be part of something special…the cure.

Tonight is all about you. It’s about what you can do as an individual to assist JDRF and all of the JDRF families in funding a cure for our loved ones who battle with juvenile diabetes. Your donations and support is your opportunity to make a difference and join in our fight.

Even though I have lived with juvenile diabetes for 20 years, tonight I advocate for my 6 year old daughter, Micheala, who has battled juvenile diabetes since the age of 4. I advocate for her because her juvenile diabetes is a result of having a father with juvenile diabetes. I’ve thought about my life with juvenile diabetes and it enhances my motivation for a cure because it pains me to know what her future has in store for her. I promised her that I would do everything that I can to find a cure for her diabetes and I don’t intend to break that promise.

I am smart enough to know that I cannot do this by myself. I, on behalf of every JDRF family, am asking for your help. Help us put an end to juvenile diabetes.

Your donations tonight will help fund the resources that can accelerate the research in finding a cure. In the next portion of the evening, 100% of all funds raised will go directly to supporting research. So if you came here tonight on the fence about making a donation, I hope that you will reconsider based on that statistic alone.

Hope is an often used word in the JDRF community because as of right now, it is all we have. Hope that people like you will understand our disease. Hope that one of our stories will reach you and trigger your decision to make a difference. Hope that our medical professionals receive the funds necessary to keep preforming research. For me, I hope for the day when I can wake up, stare into Micheala’s big beautiful blue eyes and say, “I told you I would do everything to help find a cure and today is your last day of living with diabetes”.

So I ask you this, “What about now”? Your donation could be the funds that assist in finding the cure. Stand up and be counted. On a personal note, Stand up for my daughter. Make the decision to change the world that we live in. Donate tonight and be part of something very special, be part of the cure.

Thank you for listening, for your support and your consideration. Let’s make our hope become a reality and change some lives tonight."


I walked off the stage knowing that the message that I sent was a winner. I felt good about what I said and how I said it.

The JDRF Gala raised over $240,000 on Saturday night, but there is still know cure. We must keep fighting...we must keep advocating.

A special thank you to all of those who believe in me and my purpose. Whether you were there in person or had me in your thoughts Saturday night, I could never be half of what I am without your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment