Friday, September 30, 2011

It's Not The Size Of The Dog In The Fight; It's The Size Of The Fight In The Dog

Saturday is a big day for Eastern Iowa Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation as well as all of the Type 1 diabetics in the area. It is the JDRF Gala! The Gala is a black tie event in which a silent and live auction is held, as well as a dinner, social hour and entertainment in efforts to raise money for research. It is an event that is way more formal than my every day life, but a very special and fun event. I get the opportunity to deliver a special message at this year's event, which I am truly honored to do. I am a bit nervous, but know I will push through without a problem because my purpose is strong.

This is a very emotional event for me. I recall holding back tears at last year's event, especially when watching the kids in the Gala video (which can be viewed by clicking the link on the right hand column). This year, K'la and I are in the video and while filming the video I had a very tough time holding back the tears. I guess I am the type of person that wears my emotion on my sleeve when it is involving something that I want so bad for someone I love so much. Which brings me to the title of this blog.

"No Fear" use to have a clothing line with clever/cocky slogans on them. I use to wear the t-shirts because I thought they made me seem tough. One shirt that I wore said "It's not the size of the dog in the fight; it's the size of the fight in the dog". This is saying that it's not the physical size that matters, it's what"s inside. I often think of this slogan as I thumb through pictures of kids with juvenile diabetes. My daughter, Micheala, for example is one of the smallest kids in her class, or even for her age, but her fight makes her a giant. She wishes that she wouldn't have to get up and fight every morning, but she does it because she has no alternative. I see her fight and can't help but think of the millions of other kids like her that get up and fight every morning because they have no alternative. Right now, she doesn't have the knowledge to advocate for herself, so that's where I come in.

Saturday night, as I stand in front of thousands of potential donors and deliver my message, I will be thinking about Micheala and the millions of other kids with juvenile diabetes. I will be looking at the pictures hanging in the ballroom of the kids from Eastern Iowa that have juvenile diabetes and hoping that I am delivering a message that will encourgae the audience to donate. I will have conversations with families that have children with diabetes in which we will share our stories and our on-going concerns about our diabetic children who will not be with us on Saturday night. Most importantly, I will be thinking about the size of the fight in these kids and hoping that I can come close to matching that fight in my efforts to advocate on that night.

I did not choose to be diabetic. Micheala did not choose to be diabetic. We choose to fight!

It is very safe to assume that I will be a "small dog" in that ballroom on Saturday night. I live in Urbana, Iowa, live paycheck to paycheck and am a very small town guy. However, none of that will matter because I will be the "biggest dog" in the room in regards to the fight and passion that I have for funding a cure for juvenile diabetes.

Finally, as I write this blog and listen to the radio, I don't think that it's coincidence that "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain came on the radio. So for all of the juvenile diabetic kids, on Saturday night, "I'll be the greatest fan of your life".

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike,
    I received an email from your Aunt Mare this morning. So I have spent the last half hour reading your blogs. I don't blog, so this is new to me. But what isn't new is you! You are showing all of your wonderful characteristics through your writing. I am seeing an amazing man with heart, passion, confidence, and conviction. I think back to your grandmother. She was such an inspiration to me through the years. Now you are inspiring thousands. I am actually at a loss for words. So just remember that you are so special and I am proud to have had the opportunity to be in your life.
    Love,
    Betty Coleman

    ReplyDelete