Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Dylanne Cried

Most of you know by now that Micheala was admitted into the hospital yesterday. She had been battling illness the past week and her body just couldn't handle it anymore and shut down on her. She went into DKA (Diabetic Keto Acidosis) and was a very sick girl. She was not comprehensive, threw up and was basically out of it. She is in good hands now and on the road to recovery. Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers.

This is usually a time that I spend the next 24 hours guilt stricken. With the cold and flu season coming up, its like I have sent my baby girl into war without a bullet proof vest. I pray every day that during this war, she doesn't get hit with a direst shot. I also get angry. Angry that knowing my little girl is laying helpless in a hospital bed because of a disease she got from her daddy. This fires me up and motivates me even more to find some sort of cure for Juvenile Diabetes.

Throughout all of this yesterday, I learned a pretty cool lesson. A lesson from my 8 year old Dylanne.

I picked Dylanne up after school yesterday and we headed to the hospital to see Kla. Dylanne had the usual "what happened" questions, nothing out of the norm. As we walked into Klas room, Kla lit up and was happy to see Dylanne. 0dylanne sat in her bed with her and colored until Kla said she wanted to go to sleep. Dylanne and I decided to leave. Kla cried a bit, again nothing out of the norm, as Dylanne and I left. We got to the elevator and Dylanne joked that she wouldn't be able to annoy Kla tonight. We headed across the parking lot and got into our car, then it hit her.

Kla wasn't coming home with us tonight.

Dylanne cried all the way home and for about 10 minutes after we were home. I explained to Dylanne that Kla would be okay because she is a tough little girl. As I thouht more about the night, I should have seen this coming because before we left Michealas room, Dylanne wrote, "Kla, I love you very 10000 very much - Love Dylanne" on the doctors dry erase board.

Tonight made me realize that Heather and I are far from perfect parents, but we have done something right. We built a solid foundation of love for one another within our family. When one of us hurts, we all hurt. Even though they spend a majority of their time at home fighting with each other, it was made very clear tonight that nobody or nothing messes with anyone in our family.

In a couple days, things will be back to normal. The girls will be arguing again and quite frankly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

We are a family of 4; 4-ever loving each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment