Monday, October 17, 2011

It Takes A Little More To Make A Champion

When I was in High School, one of my favorite sweatshirts was a sweatshirt made by Champion. On the tag of that sweatshirt was Champion's slogan "It takes a little more to make a champion", which is the topic of the blog today.

Getting into "fundraising season" I often ask people to go above and beyond for me. Whether it be stepping out of their comfort zone to ask strangers for donations or to advocate for juvenile diabetes. I push those that I know can handle the challenge. Those who can handle the challenge push themselves.

I want to mention one champion in particular today. The reason that I mention this guy is because he is a champion that is pushing himself. That man is Kyle Rueter.

I met Kyle on a bus ride down to Texas. We were both attending an Advocare event in efforts to better our lives both physically and financially. We both had the opportunity on the way back to stand in front of everyone on the bus and talk about our purpose. Why we are doing what we are doing. Where we are and where we are going to be. It wasn't until a few weeks later that Kyle contacted me on Facebook and told me that he was running in his first 1/2 marathon. I was extremely excited for Kyle, but even more excited about his next offer. That offer was that he wanted to run his race in honor of Micheala.

I was completely floored. This race is a big accomplishment for Kyle and to have him say that he wanted to run in honor of Micheala was quite humbling. Not only will he be running for himself; he has asked his friends and family to make a donation to support him in his race, in which he will donate those funds to Team Pump Princess. He is on a mission to raise $1000.

What triggers this type of behavior in someone? I know Kyle has his own beautiful family which means that he can relate with me in regards to how I feel about protecting my daughter as a father. But is that enough to trigger this type of fundraiser for a stranger? It's the X-Factor that Kyle has that makes him do these things.

From what I have learned about Kyle is that he doesn't "half-ass" things. He goes big or he doesn't go at all. This is what makes him a champion. He doesn't visualize himself succeeding by himself, but succeeding with others. That's what makes him a champion. He is someone that will give 99% and keep working until he achieves that last 1%. That's what makes him a champion.

So with Saturday being the big day for Kyle, I want him to know that 4 of us in Urbana Iowa will be thinking of him as he crosses the finish line. We will pray for him so that his race comes without injury. We will be thankful that he thought enough of us to include us in his big day.

It takes a little more to make a champion....just watch Kyle and you'll see.

Good luck Kyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment