Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Dad....why are you always gone?"


Truth be told....I owe a great deal of my motivation to my 8 year old daughter Dylanne. She has developed a great sense of when to say the right things at the right time and ask the right questions at the right time.

Dylanne is the healthiest person in our household; which is good for her, but also a burden because she sometimes finds herself on the back burner. She handles this fairly well and Heather and I tend to overcompensate, at times, due to our guilt. On the other hand, she is smart enough to pull this card when needed, I guess that is just part of being 8 and needing the validation that she is important to Heather and I.

As I took Dylanne and Micheala to school this morning, they both noticed that I had a change of clothes in the back seat. "What's the clothes for Dad?" I told them that, just like last night, Dad has a meeting that is very important because I am going to help people, as well as talk about JDRF with some new people. "Oh", they both said.

"Dad.....why are you always gone", asks Dylanne.

I started to answer her in a defensive way, claiming that I was not always "gone" and that she may be over exaggerating just a bit. But I suddenly stopped.....and thought about the question. Am I gone that much from my kids? What would make her ask that?

We pulled into her school and I dropped her off. Told her I loved her and proceeded to take Micheala to her school. I just couldn't stop thinking about that question. Was she interested in what I was doing on these nights that I am out late? Is she telling me that I am gone too much? Am I not paying enough attention to her?

One hour in the car, by yourself, tends to stir up a lot of internal conversation.

My follow up conversation with Dylanne will be honest and very simple. "I am gone so much now because I love you and your sister so much." Think she'll understand that? I doubt it as well, so let me explain and give some insight.

It's fact that a majority of our time is spent caring for Micheala. She is high maintenance due to her diabetes, and Dylanne is very independent. It is natural that Dylanne feels left out due to all the attention that we have to give Micheala, so Dylanne latches on to any special attention that we can give her. If I can put in all the work raising funds and advocating for a juvenile diabetes cure now, then Micheala becomes less maintenance, therefore result in equal amount of attention between the two of them. Plus, I get to spend more time home with my family and....well, you get the picture. So I am doing the work now to hopefully be able to enjoy more time with them in the future.

Not don't be misled, I am gone maybe one night a week, but that is enough to make an impact on Dylanne. I also include my family in every event possible because we are all effected by juvenile diabetes in one way or another.

Juvenile Diabetes impacts every ones' life in one way or another. Whether you have it, are a parent, sibling, day care provider, teacher and so on. We all have to make adjustments in our, what was our normal, every day lives.

Consider yourself lucky if you don't have Juvenile Diabetes; but consider yourself foolish if you don't think it effects you.

I know that when Dylanne gets older, she will understand and hopefully appreciate the work that I am doing to save her sister. Dylanne knows that I love her, because I tell her everyday. I am so proud of her and know that things are not always easy for her, but I hope that she is learning, through an example that I hope that I am setting, to follow her heart, chase her dreams and strive for what people are saying is not possible.

Thank you Dylanne for motivating me everyday to be the best me.

No comments:

Post a Comment