Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It's A Family Thing

With a few days left until the day of the walk, Dylanne and I found ourselves parked in front of our laptop last night, viewing all of the donations that we have received online. Dylanne asked me to check her site, to see how much money that she has raised. So I click on her link and she watches the thermometer raise up to 40%. She says, "Dad, why doesn't my meter go all the way up like Micheala's?" I told her that her goal to raise $100 has not been met, so it only goes to 40% because you have only $40 raised so far.

"Well, can you put something on Facebook to help me raise $100?"

So, I went to my Facebook page and typed a message from Dylanne on my profile. My Facebook friends responded aggressively and started donating to Dylanne. Long story short, this morning, she was well over her goal. Tonight...her thermometer goes to 100%. Thank you to everyone who helped.

Juvenile Diabetes (the disease) is 50% of the Schrock house. Juvenile Diabetes has an impact 100% of the Schrock house. While only 2 of us battle this disease, all 4 of us feel the effects. An example of that was this weekend. We were asked to shoot a video, take photos and do an interview to help some friends of ours construct a book to present to Congress about funding diabetes research. Now, I usuaklly talk, Micheala stands and looks cute and Heather and Dylanne watch from the background. This weekend, everyone was involved. Heather was interviewed and got really emotional. Something that I have never witnessed before; aside from hospitalizations and the initial diagnosis. It really put things into perspective for me.

A cure for a diabetic child is a cure for a "diabetic" family.

My wife never asked for this, nor did Dylanne, but the amount of support that they offer to Micheala and myself can never be appreciated enough. I challenge all of you that join us at the walk this Saturday to try and find Heather and Dylanne. They will be in the background, but conducting everyone to the appropriate places and so on. Micheala and I have the disease, but Dylanne and Heather have the passion.

Speaking of families, I am very proud of all of the families participating in the JDRF Walk this year. Some of the newer families are doing awesome things to help raise funds and awareness. Some of the older JDRF families are continuing to get bigger and better each year. It's the committment and passion from these families that help keep HOPE alive in our children.

Finally...I have really held on to a saying that was spoken by our Executive Director at Eastern Iowa JDRF, Ann Elise Walsh. That saying.."Keep the Promise". As many of you know, I made a promise to Micheala in July 2009 that I promise to do everything I can to fund a cure for juvenile diabetes. Ann Elise has made the same promise years ago to her daughter, Kasey and uses those words to motivate her each and every day. I, too, hold those words close to my heart.

Keep the Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment