Friday, January 13, 2012

You Got A Friend In Me



My interest in Juvenile Diabetes is sometimes not realized to the full extent. Sure, I am a Type 1 diabetic and Micheala is a Type 1 diabetic, so I should be involved for selfish reasons. That is how it started, but it evolved to something more than just Micheala and myself. It evolved because we got involved.

I have spoken before about how being part of JDRF has a "family" type feel to it. There is on-going support from other families, friendships that are developed and a common goal between everyone involved. I never would have expected this just by getting involved in something, but it has happened. It is so much more than a group of people and businesses getting together once a year to raise money. It's caring about one another.

As much as I talk and advocate for a cure for Micheala, I also think of these kids (like the one above) when advocating for the cure. I reach a stress levels of unmeasurable amounts while doing these things, but I know that someday it will all pay off.

I look at the picture above and see incredible bravery. I see happiness and joy. I see friendships and laughter. I see hope.

I want to talk about the young man in this picture, Bryce. I don't really know how to describe Bryce because I don't think that I have the words that would do him any justice. But, I will try. He is a very fun-loving kid. Everytime I see him, he has a smile on his face. I have never heard him say anything negative and I don't believe that he ever does. He is a cross country runner and I have heard that he is quite the volleyball player. He loves animals. He has a dream of someday becoming a radio DJ, which I personally think is pretty cool. He is a very good friend of ours and Micheala just adores him. He also has one of the coolest shirts ever, "Bazinga". He has an awesome family and after meeting them, it's easy to see why Bryce is so awesome. Finally, he fights a silent battle with juvenile diabetes every day.

What I admire the most about Bryce, is the fact that I know that he has tough days in managing his diabetes, but he doesn't let that bring him down. He stays upbeat and positive, which is hard to do when diabetes decides it wants to start playing games with you. Another thing that I admire about Bryce is that he took it upon himself to develop a friendship with Micheala. He developed this friendship with her when she thought that she was the only "kid" that had diabetes. He developed a friendship with her when she was embarrassed about having diabetes. He let her know that it was okay, not necessarily by saying those words to her, but by showing her.

In all honesty, the world needs more people like Bryce and his family. Upbeat, determined, brave, loving and as we like to call them....friends.

I want Bryce to someday live without diabetes. Bottom line.

Bryce has an awesome walk team and they continue to grow every year. If you, or someone you know, is part of the Alburnett School District, you may want to look this guy up. Better yet, join his team and help him achieve the dream of living without diabetes.

I want to thank Bryce and his family for being such awesome advocates for the cure. I also want to thank them for being awesome friends to us and the rest of the JDRF families.

No comments:

Post a Comment