Monday, January 9, 2012

When The Purpose Is Strong; The How is Easy

So the team Pump Princess goal is $13,001 this year. Last year our goal was $10,000 and we raised $11,009. Last year I had more doubters than believers. Last year I was told that the goal was too high and it couldn't be done. Even after last year's results, I still have doubters. But that's okay. It's those doubters that help us achieve. I invite the doubters. Secretly, I love the doubters. So the question that I get asked all of the time...."How do you think you're going to raise $13,001?" My response, "When the purpose is strong; the how is easy."

That is a wise phrase that I learned through a great company, Advocare. Translation...if you want something bad enough, you will do anything to get it. If you care about something enough, you'll do anything to protect it. If you desire something enough, you will do anything to obtain it. I use this phrase to fuel me through all walks of life...in faith, in my job and in fundraising for JDRF.

What this phrase does is force you to eliminate your excuses. This was key for me because I had to come to the reality of if I chose to make an excuse for not doing something, I had to face the facts of who would suffer because of my excuses. In fundraising for JDRF, the reality really hits home because the one who suffers is my six year old daughter. My purpose.

Excuses are the easy way out. They are the socially acceptable reasons for not trying. What I have found is that it takes more energy to formulate an excuse than it takes to just do what needs to be done. I don't like excuses because they require an emotion from others that I never wanted to have...sympathy. For an excuse to be okay, sympathy from the one that you're giving the excuse to has to be felt. So in english, it's okay for you not to do something to better yourself because someone feels sorry for you. So in the end, the task doesn't get accomplished and you're left with someone who feels sorry for you. A perfect beginning to a pity party and we are all aware of the things that get accomplished in a pity party.

So how am I going to raise $13,001? I am going to rally the Pump Princess committee into contacting everybody they know and asking them to support our cause. I am going to encourage the Pump Princess committee to reach out to those they don't know and ask them to support our cause. I am going to lead by example and do the above mentioned things. I am going to not let "no" stop me from asking the next person to support Pump Princess. I am not going to be satisfied with a "yes" and keep advocating for the next "yes". I am going to let the doubters fuel me and Juvenile Diabetic kids move me. I am going to put myself in positions to advocate for a cure and then look for the next opportunity. I am going to tell our story and then tell it again. I am going to raise 1 dollar and next time shoot for 2. I am going to remember the promise I made to Micheala and hold myself accountable. I am going to care more about what I am doing than what others think of me. I am going to stress myself out today so that kids with juvenile diabetes will someday not stress. I am see where I am going and understand that I am not there yet. I am going to wear my passion on my sleeve and hope that I can I can make it rub off onto others. I am going to understand that wishing will not get a cure, rather action gets a cure. I am going to never quit, because that is not an option.

I don't have to tell those of you that know me personally that my purpose is strong. I want a cure for my daughter and will not quit until that day comes. Because of that, my how is so easy. It's a lot of work, if that's what you want to call it, but it will be worth it.

I have often thought of what a cure would mean to me and what it would be like. Truth be told, my body has been damaged by diabetes and poor management of diabetes to a point in which a cure really wouldn't do much for me. I am thankful for each and every day that I have on this earth. One more day with my daughters, one more day with my wife, one more day helping others and one more day enjoying God's glory on earth. The true victory for me is knowing that Micheala will not have to battle this disease anymore. That my wife will be a little less stressed on a day-to-day basis and that Dylanne will no longer feel as if she is being placed on the back burner. I long for the day when Heather and I can get away and not worry about Micheala's health. A time when Dylanne will no longer think, "You guys love Micheala more because she has diabetes."

My goals are high. My purpose is strong. I follow my heart. My how is easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment