Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It Matters To Them....It Matters To Me

I am part of the majority that probably spends too much time worrying about work and too little time enjoying the things that really matter in life. This is something that I am working through and trying to fix. I guess I got tired of missing things in regards to my wife and my children. Whether it be school concerts, softball and soccer games or even just playing outside in the summer time; I just got fed up.

My kids are now 6 and 8 years old. I have recently decided to make this change in my life, but I can't help but think about what I have already missed. Things that I missed out on because I was so focused on MY career and MY hobbies.

I have missed a lot of Dylanne's softball games over the past few years. Whether it was because I was volunteer coaching a baseball team or work, it just wasn't right. I was absolutely blessed with the opportunity to coach young men in our community. I took coaching very serious as I wanted them to not only develop into fine baseball players, but fine young men as well. I took great pride in watching these young men succeed, but I was ignoring Dylanne, even when she said it was alright. It wasn't alright. I remember thinking some years back that I would really be tickled if Dylanne would enjoy playing softball since baseball is my favorite sport. She started playing and I wasn't there all of the time to watch her play. My wish had come true and I ignored it, who's fault is that?

In regards to extracirricular activities, Micheala is still young enough that she really hasn't started a whole lot of things, so I have a chance to attend those things of hers that I missed with Dylanne. I can't help but think of the opportunities that I missed to just play outside. Time flies by pretty fast.

It's too late to apologize, but there's still time to break the cycle. My job and personal interests are still important to me, but not as important as the two little girls that call me Dad and that very special woman that calls me her husband. I have made the committment to be at the activities and to not be a spectator in my girls' lives.

Finally, my wife. We have been married for 10 years. We often joke with each other that it doesn't seem that long. As I thought about it, we really haven't spent 10 years together. Up until 2 years ago, we worked opposite shifts, so when I worked, she was at home with the girls. When she worked, I was at home with the girls. Our "quality time" was when we passed each other coming in and out of the house. There are times that I, regretfully admit, put my career before my wife. She never deserved that. Through all of this, she continued to love me for who I was and who I wanted to be.

So as I work to break the cycle, I encourage everyone to learn from me. Don't make the mistakes that I did. Life moves fast, so you have to stop and take a look around. Tell the people that you love, "I love you", better yet, show them you love them. Be at your daughter's softball games, even if they slow in pace non competitive...it matters to her. When your home, be at home. Be there to play with your daughter on the swingset...it matters to her. Take the time to embrace your marriage. Hold your wife and get lost in her soul...it matters to her.

It matters to them....It matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment