Thursday, August 23, 2012

I Didn't Intend To Make The HR Director Cry...

A few days ago, I got a message at work from one of the corporate HR Directors.  It was a message to call her back because JDRF likes welcome all new employees personally.  Unfortunately, I was unable to return her message until today.  This 10 minute phone conversation was a life changing conversation.  It furthered my belief that I am doing what I was meant to be doing and with the best possible organization.

I call the HR Director and was instantly greeted with a great big "Welcome to JDRF".  She created instant small talk and asked me how things were going during my first week and a half of the job.  f course, i work in a fantastic office, with four of the best and most determined co-workers possible, so it was easy to answer that all was well.  Then she asked me the question.  The question in which she was not prepared for the answer.  She asked me, "Why JDRF?"

I told her that I would have to take her back 3 years.  3 years ago, our lives changed forever.  I told her our story.  I started with my 17 year battle with diabetes and having no knowledge of JDRF.  Then the diagnosis of Micheala and having JDRF enter our lives.

I went into detail about how as a parent, it wasn't okay to just sit on the sidelines and watch my 4 year old daughter start this life long battle.  I felt the need to do something to change her future, so our family decided to get involved with JDRF.  I told her that my daughter, at 4 years old, asked me if she was ever going to be undiabetic, and how I could only promise her that I would do everything that I could to make it go away some day.  I told her about the various struggles with her and her blood sugars and how it has completely changed our family.  I told her that we have raised over $34,000 as a family team in the past 3 years, but feel that we have not done enough.  Finally, I told her that every night, I have to look into my daughters eyes and answer one question....Did I do everything I could today to make her tomorrow a little bit better?

I finished.......and it was quiet for a minute.  I then heard a bit of sniffling.  She tells me that I made her cry.  A bit shocked...I quickly apologize.  She tells me that it is okay, it just means that JDRF has the right person in the right position.

She then shares a story with me that I will never forget.

She starts telling me about a boy, 11 years old, that spoke in front of Congress during the Type 1 Diabetic Children's Congress.  T1D Children's Congress is when delegates (T1D kids) from each state, travel too Washington DC to encourage Congress to keep funding research for T1D.

This boy stood in front of Congress and told them that they needed to keep funding research, but not for him.  He explained that he was 11 years old and that he is strong.  He wanted them to keep funding research for his 4 year old brother, who he was worried about because he was only 4 and not as strong.  This is a story I will never forget.  What courage from such a young man.

This HR Director hears these types of stories all of the time.  There are numerous JDRF Chapters across the United States, which all have similar stories about kids in their chapters with such courage.  Yet, she still is touched by all of them...she still is passionate about the cause.

I sat in my office for a few minutes after that phone call and just had a huge sense of relief....God has put me in the right place.

I didn't intend to make the HR Director cry, but she told me everything I needed to know about JDRF with the shedding of her tears.

What's really great about JDRF is that you do not have to be a staff member to make a huge impact with JDRF.  JDRF is fueled by volunteers.  Volunteers that are passionate and want to make a difference.  If you are wanting to join our fight, I encourage you to contact you local chapter and ask how you can help.  You will not be turned away.  We love our volunteers and their is always something or someway to help out.  Be part of the cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment