Friday, March 23, 2012

This Is A Story Of A Girl......

I write a lot about Micheala on this website. The reason I do that is because this blog was set up to give outsiders a perspective of what it is like to live with or live with someone who has diabetes. I have come to realize that this has developed into something more than just sharing our daily struggles and victories with others; it has taught me a lot about life.....yeah......life.

In 19 days, Micheala will be celebrating her 7th birthday. 7 years that this young lady has blessed us with her presence. 7 years of laughter, milestones, good times and bad. I wanted to take the time tonight to write down my thoughts, rather reflections.

Micheala has never been or ever will be average. Complications just a few months after she was born, which eventually led to Chiari Malformation of the brain, was an early indication to us that Micheala was going to have to be a tough kid. Spending our wedding anniversary in the Iowa City Hospital surgical waiting room was not our ideal way to celebrate our marriage. Fortunately, Heather and I decided after having our first child that our "needs" would take a backseat to the needs of our children. Micheala healed and we moved forward.

Diabetes diagnosis on May 10, 2009 (Mother's Day) was the next stop for Micheala. I took this hard and Heather stood strong for the family as Micheala and I were hurting. As most of you know, we fight this battle everyday, but have made the decision to embrace it.

Thyroid issues would soon make their way into Micheala's life. A marble sized lump and a large thyroid raised red flags which eventually landed us having to medicate Micheala with thyroid medication. The victory in this situation is there is no indication of this being cancerous. In addition to insulin, Micheala takes this medication in the morning before school.

Now, we sit in anticipation of what we are sure to be a new diagnosis for Micheala on Monday. We will be entering the world of Celiac Disease. Yes, gluten free....here we come. Heather has done what she typically does, which is buy books to educate herself on the disease and I sit in denial until I get the "for sure" from the medical professional.

She will turn 7 years old on April 19th.

Without knowledge of these things, you cannot tell that Micheala has these different issues. She looks and acts like a normal 6 year old.

Micheala still laughs, plays, dances, fights with her sister and all of the other things kids her age do, which is very................inspiring.

I often think that things in my life stink. When I think that, I look at Micheala and feel foolish. Foolish that I complain about the unimportant things in life. Things like, waiting in line for almost an hour in the shoe store today, having a broken garage door opener or having my wife get a speeding ticket today. Those things are minor and why do I sit and stew on those things?

I have learned to be thankful for what I have and even more thankful for those things that I don't have. I have learned to enjoy all of the good things in my life and embrace all of the bad things. I have learned to live and not just exist. I have learned to laugh at the things that should make me cry. I have learned that spending time pushing her on the swing is far more important to her than filling her void with a new toy. Both of my children are very special to me. Both of them have taught me so much about what it is to be a dad and not just wear the title.

I have kicked around the idea of writing a book about these lessons that I have learned from my children, but I am not talented enough to pull something of that magnitude off. This girl has a story...a story of courage. A story of looking past all of the hurdles that God has placed in front of you and living a life full of happiness.

I love when Micheala talks to me about her dreams. I love when she puts on her special dance outfits, pulls out the ipod and does a dance recital for Heather and I in the living room of our house (this is a nightly event in our house). I love the fact that she has chosen not to let anything or anyone stand in her way.

I enjoy the inspirational quotes and have read books seeking out leadership and inspiration. Nothing is more inspiring than watching this kid just live her life. I don't know what Micheala will end up doing when she gets older, but I know that she is writing one hell of a story. I am very fortunate to not have to read about it because I get to experience it.

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful post Mike! and please do not sell yourself short...you ARE talented and you should definitely reconsider writing a book about your life. I for one would certainly love to read it!!

    ReplyDelete