Friday, November 16, 2012

The Fighter

Lately I have been inspired by the song "The Fighter" by the Gym Class Heroes.  Anyone that has ever heard this song, knows exactly what I am talking about.  If you haven't heard the song, I suggest you go to You Tube and watch the video, which offers more inspiration.

Micheala introduced me to this song.  Yes, you read right.  My seven year old daughter introduced me to this song.  She heard it on the radio and was singing it one day.  She mentioned that she would like to use this song as her song for her JDRF video this year.  So I gave it a listen and decided right a way that this was the perfect song.  The song talks about the Olympic gymnastic from the Bronx who overcame difficult obstacles in his life to make it to the 2012 Olympics.  Truly inspirational.

This year's Pump Princess JDRF campaign is taking a different perspective.  In the past, our videos have shown the struggles that come with being a T1D accompanied with a slow sad song, geared to pull at the viewers heart strings a bit.  This year, we want people to know that we are in this fight.  We are stepping in the ring with the heavyweight know as T1D, standing toe-to-toe with it and preparing to knock it out.

I love this song because it really describes Micheala....a fighter.

Tonight, Micheala was invited to spend the night with a friend and unfortunately she is not able to do this.  She is only a week and a half into wearing her new insulin pump and we are still getting into the swing of regulating her sugars and working the new pump.  This was a big disappointment for Micheala, but it came down to a night of fun with a friend or keeping her alive for more fun opportunities in the future.  Her disappointment will pass, but it still stings.  Diabetes has landed the first punch in this fight.

The past 3 years have been full of punches landed by diabetes.  Different hospitalizations, missed sleepovers, timeouts while playing with friends and a lot of sleepless nights.  Despite the many blows landed by diabetes, Micheala keeps getting back up.  She rolls with the punches.  She is small but she is strong.  She knows that if she can keep getting up after each punch, that she will eventually land that devastating blow on Diabetes.  However, each blow leaves her scarred and weaker.

Every time diabetes lands a punch, it starts to raise questions of doubt and hopelessness.  Is this fight really worth fighting?  Am I matched up against an opponent that bigger than me?  If diabetes is going to beat me, then why even fight back?  Am I going to lose this fight?  Confidence fades with every blow, desperation sets in, the will to fight back starts to slowly become vacant.

Micheala keeps fighting.  She gets angry and fights back with even more confidence.  She knows that she has people in her corner doing everything they can to keep her in this fight.  She knows that she has the support from friends, family and strangers.  She knows that her T1D friends are counting on her to stay strong.  Like the song states....Micheala is a fighter.

I am proud of Micheala.  There was a point in my life while I was standing in the ring with diabetes, that I wanted to stay down after a devastating blow.  My heart attack at the age of 30 took everything out of me.  Had it not been the support of my family standing next to my bed as I battled back, I may have given up.  I wanted to give up, but I couldn't give up.  The people in my corner were not ready to throw in the towel, but I was.  Had I thrown in the towel, I wouldn't be here today fighting this battle with Micheala.  Sometimes perspective is a bitch and it slaps you right in the face....this is one of those moments.

I am ready to starting landing some punches on diabetes and we already have started working the "jabs".  The awareness and funds that we have raised over the past 3 years for JDRF is making a difference in this fight.  In terms of research, or researchers are very close to having the artificial pancreas ready to go.  Although there is no date for the artificial pancreas, I know that it is near.  This is not a cure for diabetes, but this will make kids with diabetes have the ability to live a normal life.  Studies are being funded with the money that is being raised to find out the answers to the "whys" and the "hows" with diabetes.  Money being raised is bringing advancements in the Cure, Treat and Prevention of diabetes.  We are landing blows and fighting back.

Diabetes has met it's match with Micheala.  She is little, she is cute but she is a fighter.

With all honesty, I have visions of this fight ending with Micheala standing in the middle of the ring with her hands raised in victory.  I can see that and fight for that.  That day is coming.

I get laughed at when I share that vision.  If it hasn't happened yet, it will never happen....bullshit, not if we have anything to do with it.  I can't just sit around and watch my daughter continuously get knocked down by diabetes.  I'm tired of holding my breathe every time she gets knocked down, hoping she will get back up.  I cannot accept the fact that she is outmatched, an underdog, in this fight and has no chance of winning.  She will win...she is a fighter.

Who is your fighter or what are you fighting for?  When you get knocked down, are you getting back up?  Finally, when you walk into a room, do people turn and say:

"HERE COMES A FIGHTER!"

I blog because I want Micheala to someday read and realize her own strength and all of the great things she is doing for T1D research.  Micheala, at this point, we have made it through 3 rounds of this fight and almost through the 4th.  You are strong, you are my hero and you are a FIGHTER! 

Love you sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment